On Oct 29th I had the privilege of speaking at Georgia Gwinnett College about Online Reputation Management and how that impacts job searches and your career. I had a blast and am grateful for all of the attendees! I promised them an online resource of the material we covered as there was not nearly enough time to get into the details of the subject matter!
As I expressed in the workshop, there are several things you can do wrong regarding your online reputation but more importantly there are several things you can do right that will without a doubt impact everything from your ability to get a date with that cutie at the birthday party to landing your dream job.
Online Reputation Management and Personal Branding need to be taken seriously and when you decide to do so you can really start to move your digital life in the right direction. The bottom line is you WILL get Googled. There is no question about it, and if what someone (either a potential date or a potential employer) the results will impact how the person doing the searching feels about you.
The remainder of this post will be full of resources to get you moving in the right direction. All of the below links will open in a new tab so you will not lose your place on this page. Original NoBox content is in the works so hang tight kiddos!
Here is a link to the Prezi for your reference. It is not terribly useful (except for the “LinkedIn Like a Boss” section) unless it is accompanied by the talk but if you did get to see it live then it could help jog your memory of the topics discussed. Below you will find some more useful resources
There are several online courses that cover the same material. Here are a few on Udemy.com that you should find useful. There are some paid courses as well but the below listed are FREE, so have at it!
- Learning to Fly – Confident Steps to Personal Branding
- Brand New You: A Personal Branding Masterclass
- Get Job Interviews using Social Media (Self-Branding Studio) – this one is $11 but for those of you on the job hunt you will likely find it very useful!
Here are some good reads on personal branding and social media best practices.
- Personal Branding 101: How to Discover and Create Your Brand
- Tips for Personal Branding in the Digital Era
- 3rd Key to Using Social Media Responsibly: Build Your Personal Brand
- 6 Ways To Use Content Marketing More Effectively For Personal Branding
- Personal Branding for Introverts
Best practices, spicing up your profile, and job searches for Social Media (emphasis on LinkedIn
- 9 Best Practices to Boost Your LinkedIn Profile
- LinkedIn Profile Tips
- YouTube search for “LinkedIn Job Search”
- Tips for using LinkedIn to find a job
- LinkedIn training – tips for job hunters
- How to Use LinkedIn to Job Search
- How to Find a Job on Twitter
Online Reputation Management Tools
- Social Mention – (FREE) It allows you to easily track and measure what people are saying about you, your company, a new product, or any topic across the web’s social media landscape in real-time. Enter your name in quotes like this; “Your Name” and click Search.
- Google Alerts – Put your name in quotes as mentioned and choose how often you want to get alerts.
- 6 Tools That Make Tracking Your Online Reputation Easy
If you can’t find a job, make a job
- All Job Hunters Need To Read About The Extreme Lengths This Guy Went Through To Work At A Hot Startup
Much more to come! If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask!